PRIME LOCATION IN DOWNTOWN PORTLAND: Across from Historic Pioneer Post Office and Pioneer Square, between Nordstrom and Pioneer Place Mall
ACCESSIBILITY: All forms of Mass Transit stop near here
PARKING: 15 minute parking and loading in front of building, and long term
parking next door at the Hilton Annex Parking Garage
Pacific Building’s Retail Tenants:
Coco Donuts & Espresso, Potbelly Deli,
Mana Island Wines, Ben & Jerry’s, Cellini’s
Fine Gifts, Russian Gallery, Frutilandia, Ben
Bridge Jewelers, plus a Convenience Store,
and a Barber Shop.
The Pacific Building is a historic office building in downtown Portland, Oregon. And is in the prime spot for commercial real estate. It has been listed on National Register of Historic Places since March 5, 1992. This building was the second of three similarly-Italianate buildings built in Portland by prolific local architect A.E. Doyle’s firm. The project’s primary designer, Charles K. Greene, worked on the trio of Italianate Doyle-commissioned buildings in Portland: the smaller Bank of California Building (also completed in 1924), The Pacific Building, and the Public Service Building (a skyscraper completed in 1928). A young Pietro Belluschi started his career with A.E. Doyle working on this building, and later in it. Upon its opening in 1926, Doyle moved his firm’s headquarters into the Pacific Building.
The lobby of the 10 story building was designed by Belluschi, and connected to Portland’s first underground parking garage.The connection to the parking garage was lost in 2000 when the bus station to the south (which sat on top of the garage) was torn down and replaced by an annex to the nearby Hilton Hotel. Architecturally, the Pacific Building appears to combine the Chicago School with Italian Renaissance architecture. The red tile roof and dormers combine with geometric windows that are almost flush with the facade to achieve this effect.